CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS
Crops can be classified based on forms, life span. uses and sources of nutrients.
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS BASED ON FORMS
1. Monocotyledonous is a plant with the seed having only one cotyledon. Examples of Monocotyledonous – maize, guinea corn, ginger, banana, wheat, palm, onion, garlic, etc.
2. Dicotyledonous is a plant with the seed having only one cotyledon. Examples of Dicotyledonous – bean, melon, groundnut, potato, tomato, pea, hibiscus, etc.
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS BASED LIFE SPAN
1. ANNUAL CROPS
These are crop that complete the life cycle within a year. For examples, maize, yam, etc.
2. BIENNIAL CROPS
These are crop that complete the life cycle within a year. For examples, ginger, pineapple, cassava, etc.
3. PERENNIAL CROPS
These are crop that complete the life cycle within a year. For examples, cocoa, mango, orange, etc.
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS BASED ON THEIR USES
1. It is used for production of food. For examples – Cereals, Tubers (yam, cassava and potatoes), Pulses, Fruits and vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, and onions)
2. It is used for oil production. For examples – Palm, Soybean and Groundnut.
3. It is used for the production of spices. For examples – Tomatoes, Onions, Ginger, Chili powder, Black pepper and Cinnamon.
4. It is used for the production of beverage. For examples – Tea, Coffee and Cocoa
5. It is used for the production of fiber. For examples – Cotton, Jute, Kenaf, Hemp, Ramie and Sisal.
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS BASED ON SOURCE OF NUTRIENTS
1. Carbohydrates are energy given food and found in food like rice, noodles, bread and other products that have grains.
2. Fats and oils are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth. They are found in foods like meat, fish, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
3. Minerals are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc. Minerals can be found meat, fish, poultry, grains.
4. Proteins are for growth, maintain or repair tissues and found in food like rice, beans, dairy products, fish, meat, eggs.
5. Vitamins help to regulate and boost immune system of the body. They can be found in almost any product on the Earth.
6. Water support life and needed on regular basis.
1. List and discuss forms of crops.
2. sort and classify the specimen provided into the plant forms.
3. list two external features of crop plant forms.
4. classify 5 displayed crops based on the life span.
5. match the crop samples with their respective uses.
6. classify the following crops – maize, beans, waterleaf, soya-beans, cassava, pepper, cocoa etc. according to their forms, uses and life span.