LESSON – BODY IMAGE AND SELF ESTEEM
- Concepts of Body Image and Self Esteem
- Features of Positive and Negative Body Images
Body image is the way people see and feel about their body.
When you looked in a mirror, what you thought and feel about yourself is known as body image.
People can have a positive or negative body image of themselves.
TYPES OF BODY IMAGE
Body image can be,
1. Positive body image
2. Negative body image
POSITIVE BODY IMAGE
Positive body image is the good feeling about your body.
FEATURES OF POSITIVE BODY IMAGE
The characteristics of positive body image are as follows:
1. Positive self-esteem
2. Confident in your own ability to make decisions.
3. Good connection to work, school and community
4. Assertive in expressing your needs and opinions
5. Ability to form secure and honest relationships — and less likely to stay in unhealthy ones
6. Involvement in sport, team and community activities
7. Positive relationships
8. Healthy attitude and relationship with food
9. Realistic in your expectations and less likely to be over critical of yourself and others.
NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
Negative body image is the bad feeling about your body.
FEATURES OF NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
The characteristics of negative body image are as follows:
1. Low self-confidence
2. Limited connection to school, work & community
3. Relationship difficulties
4. Limited involvement in sport, team and community activities
5. Disordered eating
6. Mental health concerns, e.g. depression, anxiety, eating disorders, etc.
Self esteem is the belief and confidence in yourself.
That’s, how you mostly feel good about yourself, feel proud of what they can do, see the good things about yourself, believe even when you don’t do well at first.
Having a good body image helps you feel confident or self esteem.
Answer the questions.
1. explain the concept of body image and self esteem.
2. state 5 features of positive body image.
3. mention 5 features of negative body image.
4. differentiate between positive and negative body image.
5. appreciate individual features and uniqueness.