DEFINITION/MEANING OF EAR TRAININGS (AURAL SKILL)
Ear training is the ability to recognize music other than notation. It is also known as aural skill. Ear training begins with
1. identifying sounds by ear and naming them
2. transcribing them
3. playing them back
4. singing them
5. singing them at more advanced levels, and
6. improvising upon them according to harmonic rules.
DEFINITION/MEANING OF HARMONY
Harmony is the simultaneous combination of sounded musical notes to produce a pleasing effect and ensuing relationships of intervals and chords. It composed of consonant and dissonant sounds.
FEATURES OF HARMONY
The features harmony are chord, scale and tonality.
1. CHORD –It is a simultaneous combination of tones (typically three or more) that constitute a single block of harmony.
2. SCALE – It is a serie of tones or pitches in ascending or descending order.
3. TONALITY – It is a principal of organizing a work around a central tonic, or home pitch, based on a major or minor scale.
Reference – Music Outline
RUDIMENTS OF HARMONY IN TWO SIDES PART WRITING AND FOUR PART WRITING
The Rudiments of Harmony is a manual for the understanding and use of music.
1. RUDIMENT OF HARMONY IN TWO PART WRITING – Two part writing occurs when one musical staff is used for two different instruments, voices, or melody/harmony lines.
2. RUDIMENT OF HARMONY IN FOUR PART WRITING – Four part writing occurs when two staves are used for four different instruments, voices or melody/harmony lines.
1. Define the term ear training.
2. Ear training is also known as ______.
3. Differentiate between 2-part and 4-part harmony.
4. state the rudiments of harmony.
5. play a tune with the recorder on a given scale.
6. name the components of harmony.