LESSON – DRUG EDUCATION
- Meaning and Forms of Drug
- Normal Use of Drug and Effects
- Effects of Drug on Individual, Family and Society
- Drinking Alcohol and Smoking Tobacco
- Consequences of Drug Abuse
A drug is any substance that can change the activities of the body.
If we take drugs during sickness, they make us feel better, when we take them according to doctor’s prescription.
Some people abuse drug by using it without any doctor’s prescription.
The effects of the drug vary.
Some make us sleepy, excited, awake or take away pains.
Drug use can be normally use or abuse.
There are drug that capable of affecting the mind, emotions, and behavior.
Among these drugs are alcohol and tobacco smoking which are used excessively.
FORMS OF DRUG
Drugs are in different forms such as,
1. Solid form
Tablets such as panadol, paracetamol, etc.
2. Liquid form
Tonic such as cough syrup, blood tonic, etc.
3. Gaseous form
Inhaler, Respiratory, etc.
WAYS OF TAKING DRUGS
Drugs are taking as follows:
1. Through mouth
2. Rubbing or spraying on skin
1. THROUGH MOUTH
Drugs like tablets, capsules or liquid form are swallow.
Most are taken through mouth.
2. RUBBING OR SPRAYING ON SKIN
Drugs like Robb, Penicillin, Aboliki, Loko, etc. are rubbed on the skin.
Spraying are commonly used for the sport men and women for quick and fast relief.
Malaria and typhoid injections are good examples.
These drugs are injected into the body by using syringes and needles.
Vicks inhaler, oxygen inhaler, etc. are examples of drugs inhale.
Other drugs inhaler are cocaine, tobacco, taba, etc.
There are drugs that are taken through the eyes, e.g. eye and hear drops.
NORMAL USE OF DRUG
Normal use of drugs are drugs used according to doctor’s prescription.
EFFECTS OF NORMAL USE OF DRUGS
Drug use make people:
1. Heathy and fit
2. Active and strong
3. Live long
4. Sleep well
5. Results in excitement and joy
MEANING OF DRUG ABUSE
Drug abuse is the wrong use of drugs to get self drive.
Drugs used this ways are not prescribed by doctors, nurses or pharmacists.
The best way to use a drug is according to the doctor’s prescription.
Commonly abused drugs in Nigeria are tobacco, alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, amphetamine, heroin, diazepam, codeine, cough syrup, tramadol, Indian hemp, morphine, heroin, etc.
Drug abuse is the taking of drugs without the doctor’s advise or prescription.
EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE ON HEALTH
The effects or the dangers of drug abuse are –
1. Respiratory tract infection
2. Blood pressure
4. Weight loss
6. Mental illness
8. Lung disease
EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE ON THE FAMILY
The effects of drug abuse on the family are as follows:
1. Lack of trust
2. Division among family members
3. Reckless behavior within the family
5. Stay away from home
6. Exposure to other drugs
7. Causing parental grief
SOCIO-ECONOMIC EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE
1. Bad behaviour
2. Poor performance in school
8. Financial problems
9. HIV infection
10. Increase in crime rate
11. Underdeveloped society
12. Insecurity of lives and prosperities
Alcohol is a chemical substance found in liquid that is found in drinks such as beer, wine, and liquor.
It is also found in perfumes, cleaning fluid, medicine, mouthwashes, household products, and essential oils, plants, etc.
Alcohol is a drug, a liquor substance that change or affects the mind, or mental state.
For examples – Beer, wine, whiskey, gin, burukutu (local drink made from guinea corn), palm wine and ogogoro (local gin), are good examples of alcoholic drinks.
People that are affected by alcohol are called drunker.
The common alcohol drinks in our communities are –
- Tradition alcohol are palm wine, burukutu, ogogoro, pito, local gin, etc.
- Modern alcohol are beer, wine, whisky, champagne, etc.
TYPES OF ALCOHOL
There are three (3) of alcohol,
1. ETHANOL (ETHYL ALCOHOL)
Ethanol is an alcohol that is made by fermentation.
Fermentation is a chemical process that uses uses yeast, sugars, and starches.
2. METHANOL (METHYL ALCOHOL)
Methanol is a component in fuel for cars and boats that is used to manufacture antifreeze, paint remover, windshield wiper fluid, and many other products.
3. ISOPROPANOL (ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL)
Isopropanol is the chemical name used for cleaning and disinfecting.
Ethanol is the only type of alcohol that humans can safely drink while other types of of alcohol are used for cleaning and manufacturing, NOT safe for making drinks.
Drinking ethanol on regular basis may lead to addiction and damage the liver, the brain, and other organs over time because ethanol is toxic.
Both methanol and isopropanol are poisonous to humans because they can cause liver failure. Drinking even a small amount of methanol or Isopropanol can be fatal.
EFFECTS OF DRINKING ALCOHOL
The effects of alcohol are as follows:
2. Heart disease
4. Amnesia, brain
4. Amnesia, brain cancer
6. Sexual dysfunction
EFFECTS OF SMOKING TOBACCO
Tobacco is a plant grown for its leaves, which are dried and fermented before being put in tobacco products.
Tobacco contains nicotine, an ingredient that can lead to addiction, which is why so many people who smoke tobacco find it difficult to quit.
Cigarette manufacturers were also compelled to carry warnings such as “Cigarette smokers are liable to die young,”
A large, national study found that smokers faced nearly three times the risk of dying prematurely from heart disease or stroke.
The effects of tobacco are as follows:
1. Appetite increased
2. Addiction that later becomes hard to quit.
3. Headache and dizziness
4. Lung damage
5. Heart disease
6. Constant cough
7. Fertility problems
8. Risk of pregnancy complications
9. Risk of type 2 diabetes
10. Weakened immune system
11. Vision problems
12. Poor oral hygiene
13. Unhealthy skin and hair
16 Mild headache and dizziness.
17. Tiredness and restless.
18. Anxiety, depression, irritability, and mental disorder.
REASONS FOR DRINKING OR SMOKING
People drink for different reasons such as,
1. To feel high, that is, feel strangely happy or satisfied.
2. To prove a points among friends and family members.
3. To boost confidence.
4. To fight shyness.
5. To aid performance.
6. To avoid stress.
7. For fun and enjoyment.
8. To express happiness.
9. For celebration.
10. To reduce pain and ache.
11. To get out of boredom and loneliness.
ISSUES AND CHALLENGES OF DRUG ABUSE IN SPORTS
The issues and challenges of sports are as follows:
1. Poor performance at the local and international competition.
2. Poor movement abilities.
3. Lost of proper fitness.
4. Decrease in skill development.
5. Inability to maximize their potential.
6. Unfit for training.
7. Decrease in the spirit of sportsmanship.
ISSUES AND CHALLENGES OF DRUG ABUSE IN ATHLETE
1. It gives pleasurable feelings or desires that encourage the tendency to use again and again.
2. It leads to development of drug tolerance.
3. It reduces sense of pain.
CONSEQUENCES OF DRUG ABUSE
1. Increase in crime rate
2. Bad behavior
7. Underdeveloped society
8. Insecurity of lives and prosperities
Answer 10 questions.
1. differentiate between normal use of use and drug abuse.
2. state or effects of normal use of drug.
3. mention 5 effects of drug abuse.
4. complete this statement, Cigarette smokers are liable…..
5. list 5 common traditional drink in our communities.
6. give 5 common modern drink in our communities.
7. Addiction means ________.
8. give 5 reasons why people drink alcohol or smoke tobacco.
9. state 5 issues and challenges of drug abuse in sports.
10. mention 5 issues and challenges of drug abuse in Athlete.
11. list 5 consequences of drug abuse.
12. mention 5 ways of taking drugs.
13. give 2 examples of drugs taking –
- Rubbing or spraying on skin
14. state 5 reasons why people for drink and smoke.
15. differentiate between alcohol and tobacco.
16. mention 3 types of alcohol.
17. state the danger of taking methanol and Isopropanol.