LESSON – CYBERBULLYING
- Ways to Deal with Cyberbullying
Cyberbullying is one of the types of online threat that intimidate, harass or threaten the internet users through phone calls, instant messaging, e-mail, chat rooms or social networking sites such as facebook and twitter.
All forms of cyber bullying are deliberate.
FORMS OF CYBERBULLYING
There are several forms of cyber bullying,
3. Outing or boxing
9. Trolling or Baiting
Exclusion is the deliberate act of leaving someone out from online meeting, forum, social networking or group despite being a member.
Harassment is the deliberate act of disrespecting or intimidate the self esteem of the internet users to make them feel lesser of themselves.
For example – calling them names, offensive or derogatory jokes, racial or ethnic slurs, pressure for dates or sexual favors, unwelcome comments about their body images, outfits, profession, etc.
Outing is the act of sharing of people’s personal or sensitive information such as pictures, saved messages, health test, certificates, exam or text scripts for the purposes of embarrassing or humiliating them on the social media, forum, etc.
Trickery is the practice of deceiving or cheating people online to reveal their personal information or secret for the purpose of embarrassing them.
Cyberstalking is the use of internet or social media to harass or stalk other internet or social media users, mostly the children.
Fraping is the use of someone else email or social media accounts to send an inappropriate content such messages, comments, videos and pictures (pornography or rape) in your name or created new and offensive comments, videos or pictures pretending to be you.
Masquerade is a form of bullying that pretend to someone else in order hurt people online.
Dissing is the act of spreading cruel information for the purpose of destroy your reputation or relationships with other internet users.
Dissing is also as fake information or rumour about you.
Trolling is the deliberate act of provoking the internet users to response in a disrespectful manner.
The purpose of trolling is to provoke, annoy or create conflict among the internet users on online forums and social networking sites.
Flaming in a direct attack on the internet users similar to fraping to create online or conflict among the internet users.
It is common among the online forums, chart rooms or social media with different ideology and cultural differences.
CAUSES OF CYBER BULLYING
The causes of cyber bullying are as follows:
1. Freedom of speech.
3. Academic or professional envy.
4. Anonymity online
5. Lack of empathy.
6. Misunderstanding or misconception
9. Ego booster
EFFECTS OF CYBER BULLYING ON THE INTERNET USERS
The effects of cyber bullying on the victims are as follows:
1. It reduce victims self esteem.
2. It reduces the professional or academic performance of the victims.
3. It complicates the victims health challenges or issues.
4. It leads to frustration.
5. It demoralizes the victims.
6. It deviates the victims from the social and cultural norms.
7. It might lead to lost of job or dropout from school due to professional and academic performance.
8. It leads to suicide thought.
WAYS OF DEALING WITH CYBER BULLYING
There are several ways to deal with cyberbullying,
1. Don’t respond immediately
2. Talk or report bullying to someone such as parents, teachers, colleagues or friends and families.
3. Keep record by screenshot bullying as future reference or evidence.
4. Report and block all means of bullying such as phone calls, sms or online messages, chars, groups or forums.
5. Don’t accept strange friend’s request.
6. Be careful of what you share or post online.
7. Recognize sign of online bullying.
8. Be quick to listen and slow to response.
9. Secure your sensitive or personal data.
10. Hold bullying accountable.
11. Disable account temporary or permanently if you have.
Answer all the questions.
1. explain the meaning of cyber bullying.
2. state 5 forms of cyber bullying.
3. explain 5 of the following,
4. mention 5 causes of cyber bullying.
5. state 5 effects of cyber bullying on the internet users.
7. mention 5 ways to deal with cyber bullying.