ELECTORAL SYSTEM OR ELECTORAL PROCESS
An electoral system is also known as voting process. It is a set of rules and regulations that determine how elections and referendums are conducted. The whole system includes parties registration, voter registration, political campaign, accreditations, voting and declaration of results and dispute resolution.
SECOND BALLOT SYSTEM/RUN-OFF SYSTEM
Second ballot system is a run off system. It is an election conducted when the first election fails to produce a clear winner to be returned for the position of President or Governor. In Nigeria, presidential candidate must win 25% across the states or federation while the governorship must win 25% across the LGA.
ADVANTAGES OF SECOND BALLOT SYSTEM/RUN-OFF SYSTEM
1. It gives the candidates or political parties with the same score a second chance to test their popularity.
2. It enables the best candidate to emerge as the winner.
3. It gives the voters the opportunity to choose the best candidate that will represent their interest.
4. It makes the election more competitive and interesting.
DISADVANTAGES OF SECOND BALLOT SYSTEM/RUN-OFF SYSTEM
1. It is very expensive and time consuming.
2. It delays election results.
3. It can lead to political apathy or instability.
4. It can lead to election malpractices.