LESSON – DRAMA AND THEATRE
- Meaning of Drama and Theatre
- Why People get Involved in Performing Arts?
Drama involves impersonation and imitation of people and situations (i.e. role playing of people and situations) before an audience by actors/actresses.
Theatre is a place where actor and actress perform drama, song and dance to entertain people.
Drama is said to have originated from three sources:
- Dramatic elements of Festivals, Storytelling: Dialogue, Action, Audience, Stage, etc.
ACTORS AND ACTRESS
An actor or actress is the person that portray a character in a drama or theater.
Actor – Male
Actress – Female
An audience is a group of people who participate in a show to watch a movie (drama, performance, etc.).
FORMS OF DRAMA
There are many forms of drama such as:
4. Musical drama
5. Domestic drama
Comedy drama is a drama that makes you smile, laugh and happy. For example, Jennifer Diary, Wedding Party, etc.
Tragedy drama is a sad drama. This drama makes people to cry sometimes. For example, Ghost and Tout, etc.
Melodrama is an emotional drama. This drama is sometimes fun or sad. For example, Ghost and Tout, etc.
4. Musical drama
Musical drama is a drama that combines song, dance and act. For example, India films, etc.
5. Domestic drama
Domestic drama is a drama based on the normal daily life of family and friends. For example, Mr. John bull, Ile Aladun, etc.
FUNCTIONS OF DRAMA
The functions of drama are as follows:
- It teaches us value among other things.
- It teaches us how to tolerate one another, i.e. accepting one another.
- It teaches us how co-operate with one another.
- It enables us to learn about ourselves, our society, culture and religion.
- It also enables us to learn about life in general.
- It is a means of disseminate important information among ourselves.
- It helps to relax, drive pleasure, create fun and express our feelings when watching drama.
- It enables people to relax and forget the ugly parts of life.
- It heals the broken heart.
- It builds and reassure confident in people.
- It enables people to develop positive thinking.
DIFFERENT BETWEEN DRAMA AND THEATRE
The different between drama and theatre are as follows:
1. Drama is the printed script of a play.
Theater is the onstage production of a play.
2. There is direct interaction between the reader and dramatist.
There is no direct interaction between audience and the dramatist.
3. Interpretation of the play depends on the reader.
Interpretation of the play depends on the artists.
4. Drama is an abstract entity.
Theater is a physical entity.
Source - pediaa.com
WHY GET INVOLVED IN PERFORMING ARTS?
The reasons why people involved in acting are as follows:
1. Boosting self-confidence
2. Growing the imagination
3. Creating empathy
4. Teaching cooperation
6. Improving concentration
7. Overcoming fears
8. Gaining better communication skills
9. Improving memory and retention
Source - lightuptheathre.ca
MEANING OF PLAY CREATING
Play means to act, to do or to perform a play or drama.
Drama is also a play written for theater, television, radio, and film.
It may last about five to fifteen minutes.
A drama sketch is a short play.
PROCESS OF CREATING A PLAY
The process of creating a good play are –
1. Written script
2. Unwritten script
1. WRITTEN SCRIPT
Written scripts are the type of drama that is written.
People read and master their roles.
2. UNWRITTEN SCRIPT
Unwritten scripts are the types of drama that are given to the actors and actresses verbally.
The actors and actresses are get the script verbally and practice or dramatize in order to bring out the lesson for understanding.
ELEMENTS OF DRAMA
The elements of drama are things that are the features of drama.
That’s what made up drama.
- Plot – it is an outline of events in a play.
- Language – it is the choice of word used to express an ideas in a play.
- Characterisation – it is the character perform or display in a play.
2. ACTORS/ACTRESSES – They are males and females that act play.
3. STAGE – It is a platform above the floor or ground where play is acted.
4. AUDIENCE – They are those watching the play in the theatre.
5. SOUND is the voices of actors and actresses that act in a play. This also include musical sound.
6. LIGHTING – It different kinds of light being used in the play.
MEANING OF COSTUMES
Costume and makeup is the outlook or physical appearance that describes actors (actresses) during a performance.
Costume is an outfit that enables someone to be suitable for a particular activities.
For example, an outfit of:
1. A pastor
2. Alfa or Imam
6. Half human and half fish, etc.
MEANING OF MAKE-UP
Makeup is the application of all forms of powder and paint on the performer.
It is something used to create appearance different from original look during a play.
For example –
1. Gray hair or beard
2. Tribal marks, etc.
TYPES OF MAKEUP USED IN DRAMA
1. Straight makeup
2. Character makeup
1. STRAIGHT MAKEUP
Straight make-up is the close natural appearance of the actor (actress) that suit a character without any changing the original appearance.
2. CHARACTER MAKEUP
Character Makeup is used to create a character by changing the actor (actress) physical appearance to match a particular character.
USES OF COSTUME AND MAKEUP
1. It alters appearance.
2. It enhances appearance.
3. It creates confident.
4. It protects the skin.
5. It beautifies the body.
MAKEUP ITEMS IN USED IN DRAMA
4. Eye pencil
6. Camwood, etc.
Answer 5 questions in all.
1. differentiate between a theatre and a drama.
2. explain who is an actor, an actor and the audience.
list three elements of drama.
2. explain the elements of drama.
3. list and explain 5 basic forms of drama.
3. list 5 functions of drama.
4. mention one way in which a given drama portrays any of the functions.
5. differentiate between costume and makeup.
6. mention the 2 basic types of make-up.
7. mention 2 uses of costume and make-up.
8. List 5 make-u p items.