LESSON – MARTIAL ART (JUDO)
- History and Development of Judo
- Meaning and Types of Judo
- Importance, Basic Skills and Techniques of Judo
- Training and Practice Sessions
Martial art are the sports that originated in Japan, Korea, and China as forms of self defence or attack.
They are fighting skills used for self defence or attack without any weapons.
Examples of martial arts are as follows:
Judo is a Universal Olympic sports and a method of physical, intellectual and moral education.
It was founded in Nigeria when the interest of the game started increasing in the country to foster appropriate support for all the youths of the country that have declared interest for the game.
HISTORY OF JUDO
Judo is a martial art that was born in Japan, and it is now known around the world as an Olympic sport.
Judo was created in 1882 by combining jujutsu, a form of close combat, with elements of mental discipline.
It became an Olympic event in 1964.
IOC, International Olympic Committee considered Judo as the most complete sport that improves the quality of life of those who practice it.
LESSON 2 – HISTORY OF JUDO IN NIGERIA
Judo was embraced by Nigerians in 1972.
Mr Alexander Ifidon was appointed in 1973 to oversee the development of Judo in Nigeria.
The Nigerian Amateur Judo Association was formed in 1973.
It was later changed to Nigeria Judo Federation in 1993.
Judo was first introduced to the Nigerian armed forces and later introduced to clubs, colleges and universities.
IMPORTANCE OF JUDO
The importance of Judo are as follows:
1. It helps in building self defence skills.
2. It helps in mental and physical development.
3. It builds stamina and body structure.
4. It gives (promotes) courage and self confidence.
5. It helps in the training of armed forces and security personnel.
6. It assists in body flexibility and mobility.
7. It promotes discipline.
8. It promotes general fitness of the body.
LEARNING 3 – JUDO TRAINING AND PRACTICE
RULES OF JUDO
Judo’s rules is applicable to any situation in which Judo is practiced and in the competition.
The rules of Judo game are as follows:
1. Contestants must bow before stepping onto the mat.
2. Contestants must bow to each other before and after practice or competition.
3. Inappropriate behaviour, such as foul language and bodily gestures, is not tolerated.
4. Intentionally injuring an opponent is not allowed.
5. Punching, kicking, and other strikes are not allowed.
6. It is not permitted to touch an opponent’s face.
7. Head dives or butts are not permitted.
8. There should be no wearing of any hard object or metal during competition.
9. There should be constant bows to each other.
10. Award of ippon decides the winner and ends the match.
11. A shido is awarded to punish an offender.
Reference – Basic Rules of Judo
BASIC SKILLS AND PRACTICE OF JUDO
The basic skills of Judo are as follows:
1. The stance
2. The grip
9. Arm lock
Answer all the questions.
1. describe the concept of martial arts.
2. state the origin of martial arts.
3. mention 4 types of martial arts.
4. explain the Judo game.
5. Narrates the history of Judo in Nigeria.
6. state 5 importance of Judo.
7. state 5 rules of Judo.
8. mention 5 basic skills and techniques in Judo.
8. application of Judo during training.
10. demonstrate 5 skills and techniques involved in Judo.