Safety Precautions and Devices
LESSON – SAFETY
- Safety Precautions
- Causes of Accidents
- How to Prevent Accidents
- Safety Devices and Instructions
- First Aid Box
- Lesson Evaluation
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm, danger or accidents.
It means taking care not to fall or bump or run into things.
Any precautions taken prevent accidents at home, work, in school or on the road is known as safety.
MEANING OF SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Safety precautions are the actions taken to prevent possible danger, harm or injury.
Safety precautions include,
1. wearing gloves
2. reduce workplace stress
3. wearing eye protection and any protective equipments
4. using equipment that is in good repair
5. cleaning up spills
6. be aware of Aware of Your Surroundings
7. the use tools and machines properly
8. follow correct procedures
9. don’t take shortcuts
10. be alert and awake
11. access to a first aid kit, etc.
MEANING OF ACCIDENTS
Accident is an unplanned or unexpected events which cause injury or damage of lives and property.
It is important that we avoid accidents because it may result in person’s injury, death or damage to property or combination of the three.
Accidents can happen everywhere, for example – in the schools, homes, roads, market places, etc.
Accidents can cause temporary or permanent harm or damage to people and properties.
CAUSES OF ACCIDENTS AT HOME
The causes of accidents at home are as follows:
1. Sharp objects like knife, blade, pin, needle, etc.
2. Naked wire
3. Hot objects like iron, water, oil, etc.
4. Refuse – banana peel
5. Wet floor with oil or soapy water.
6. Running or walking carelessness on the staircase
7. Animals bite – dog bites
8. Natural disaster like heavy rainfall with strong wind
CAUSES OF ACCIDENTS IN THE SCHOOL
The causes of accidents in the school are as follows:
1. Dangerous objects like broken chairs and tables, broken bottles and plastics, etc.
2. Animals bite like snake bites in busy school.
3. Running or walking carelessness on the staircase.
4. Bad chairs and tables.
7. Rough play with dangerous objects.
8. Pushing from the staircase or from chair.
9. Naked wire
10. Careless use of sharp objects like blade, knife or cutlass.
11. Natural disaster like heavy rainfall with strong wind
CAUSES OF ACCIDENTS AT WORK OR MARKET PLACES
The causes of accidents at work are as follows:
2. Faulty machines or equipments
3. Misuse of office and factory tools, equipments or machines
4. Slippery or wet floor
6. Hazardous materials
7. Poor lighting, airing or ventilation
Safety is the absent of accident in the use of machines, domestic wares, office equipment, toys, both in the house and in the school.
Safety device is a piece of equipment such as a fire extinguisher, safety belt, or burglar alarm that reduces loss or damage from a fire, accident, or break-in.
METHODS OF PREVENTING ACCIDENTS
1. Identify safe places to walk with safe access and exit to corridors, staircase, steps and fire exits.
2. All toys should be safe to play with and should not prevent risks to children. For example, children should not play with beads and toys with sharp or pointed edges.
3. School and homes should be well ventilated with proper fume and dust control.
4. Shelves and storage inlets should not be stacked too high.
6. Items should be stored in the correct containers and labelled.
7. Report any electrical fault immediately.
9. Read notices and instructions before using any equipment.
9. Never touch any electric wires.
Safety precautions are put in place to serve as protection against accidents.
Some of the instructions are as follows:
1. When you enter a place, do not touch anything until you are told to do so or you have read instructions on them.
2. Do not eat food, drink beverages, or chew gum in the laboratory.
3. Know the locations and operating procedures of all safety equipment like the first aid kit and fire extinguisher.
4. Know where the fire alarm and the exits are located.
5. Keep hands away from your face, eyes, mouth, and body while using chemicals.
6. Clean with detergent, rinse, and dry all work surfaces and equipment at the end of the work.
7. Wear hand gloves to protect your hands.
8. Caps and helmets could also be worn to prevent head injury,
9. Wash your hands with soap and water after work, etc.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. explain the meaning of safety and safety precautions.
2. describe the concepts of accidents with appropriate examples.
3. state 5 causes of accidents at home.
4. mention 5 causes of accidents in the school.
5. make list of 5 causes of accident at work.
7. state ways to prevent at accidents at home, work or in the school.
8. explain the meaning of safety device with appropriate examples.
9. state 5 safety devices.
10. demonstrate the use of the safety devices mentioned in question 9.
11. state 5 item in the first aid box.