LESSON – LOCAL SOAPS
- Meaning of Soap and Detergent
- Local Materials Used of Making Soap
- Active Ingredients in the Local Materials Used for Making Soap
Soap is a substance used for washing.
Soaps are in different forms,
Most of the bar soaps used for bathing and washing of dishes.
While the liquid soaps are commonly used for washing dishes.
Sometimes, bar soaps are also used for washing dishes incase liquid soap are not available.
EXAMPLES OF LIQUID SOAP
Liquid soaps are soaps in liquid soaps.
Morning fresh, good mama, sunlight and local liquid soap are good examples of liquid soaps in our localities.
EXAMPLES OF DETERGENT SOAP
Detergent soaps are soaps in form of powder.
Aerial, elephant, omo, so easy, sunlight, nittol, etc. are good examples of detergent soaps.
EXAMPLES OF BAR SOAP
Bar soaps are soap in solid form.
Joy, delta, tura, etc. are good examples of bar soap.
TYPES OF SOAP
The types of soap are as follows:
1. Local soap
2. Modern soap
The above soaps are available in liquid, detergent and bar soaps.
1. LOCAL SOAPS
Local soap are black soap used for bathing.
Local materials or ingredients are used for making local soaps.
2. MODERN SOAPS
Modern soap are joy soap, sunrise detergent, sunrise dish wash, omo osun, etc.
These soaps are made with modern materials or ingredients.
USES OF SOAP
Soaps are used for the following,
LOCAL MATERIALS FOR MAKING LOCAL SOAPS
Local materials and active ingredients used for making local soap are as follows:
2. Palm oil or animal fat
4. pot or pan
5. Spoon or stick for stirring
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS IN SOAP MAKING
Acids and bases as ingredients used in making soap are sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide.
1. Sodium hydroxide for making bar soap.
2. Potassium hydroxide for making liquid soap.
HOW TO MAKE LOCAL SOAP
- Heat the palm oil until it changed colour.
- Add some caustic soda to the heated oil.
- Stir the oil and caustic soda very well.
- Pour the mixture into the milk container for moldings.
- Allow to cool and harden.
- Wash dirty handkerchiefs or clothes with the soap.
Answer all the questions.
SECTION A – OBJECTIVES
1. ________ are liquid or solid substances used for washing.
2. Soaps are in ________ form.
A. Solid and liquid
B. Liquid and solid
C. A and B
3. There are ________ types of soaps.
C. A and B
Mention 2 types of soaps.
6. ________ Sodium hydroxide for making bar soap.
A. Potassium hydroxide
B. Sodium hydroxide
C. Iye hydroxide
7. ________ for making liquid soap.
A. Sodium hydroxide
B. Iye hydroxide
C. Potassium hydroxide
8. State 5 materials used for making local soaps.
9. Give 2 examples of the following:
- Bar soaps, ________ and ________
- Liquid soaps, ________ and ________
- Detergent soaps, ________ and ________
10. Differentiate between local and modern soaps.
SECTION B – THEORY
1. explain the meaning of soap.
2. state 3 forms of soap with appropriate examples.
3. differentiate between local and bar soaps with appropriate examples.
4. mention 5 uses of soap.
5. name 5 local materials used in making soap.
6. identify acids and bases as ingredients used in making soap.
7. discuss the process of making local soaps.