Teaching Topics – 1. Types of Flour in Cookery, 2. Raising Agents, 3. Flour mixtures, 4. Food Flavourings and Colourings and 5. Flours from Local Foodstuffs in Cookery
FOOD AND NUTRITION
THEME – FOOD PREPARATION, STORAGE AND PRESERVATION
TOPIC 1 – FLOUR MIXTURE
1. Flours raising agents
2. Flavourings and colourings in flour mixture
3. Baked products of flour mixture
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. discuss types of flour mixtures.
2. identify raising agents used in flour mixture.
3. describe how each raising agent works in flour mixtures.
4. discuss the basic methods of preparing flour mixtures.
5. use standard measurements in flour mixtures.
6. decorate cakes.
7. list food flavouring and colours used in flour mixtures.
8. discuss the use of local flour mixtures in cookery.
CONTENTS OF THE LESSON
1. Types of Flour in Cookery
- Instant blending flour, etc.
2. Raising agents
3. Flour mixtures
4. Food Flavourings and Colourings
5. Flours from Local Foodstuffs in Cookery
1. Explains the types of flours in flour mixtures.
2. Guides the discussion on raising agents, such as air, baking powder, yeast, etc
3. Demonstrates how to use and mix different types of flour mixtures, cakes, bread etc.
4. Describes the natural and artificial flavourings and colourings.
5. Displays processed flours from local foodstuffs.
6. Supervises the students’ work.
7. Gives a board summary.
1. Participates in class discussion.
2. Ask and answer questions.
3. Practice how to prepare products from flour mixtures.
4. Copy notes from the chalkboard.
1. discuss 4 types of flour mixtures.
2. list 3 general faults in cakes and their causes.
3. list 5 ingredients used in bread making.