LESSON – ONLINE SAFETY AND THREATS
- Reasons Why People are Internet Victims
Internet is a network that connects computers worldwide.
It is the largest computer network in the world.
It is no longer limited to personal computers, internet can be accessed through personal phone, tablet, television and other electronic devices.
CONCEPTS OF INTERNET SAFETY
Internet safety is the practice of staying safe online without exposing yourself or losing your personal informations to Internet threats.
ONLINE SAFETY RULES AND TIPS
1. Use safe browsers.
2. Use strong passwords.
3. Change your passwords from time to time.
4. Don’t the same passwords for all your internet activities.
5. Don’t use personal or children’s details as passwords.
6. Use 2FA, two way factors.
7. Be professional online.
8. Make online payments or purchases from secure sites.
9. Be careful of what you posts or people you meet online.
10. Keep all your applications, programs or softwares up to date.
11. Use a secure VPN connection.
12. Keep your social media accounts secure.
13. Backup data regularly.
14. Monitor online activities.
15. Be careful what you download.
16. Close unused accounts.
THE USES OF SAFE INTERNET
It is very important to use the internet wisely for the following reasons,
1. to protect your and family identity.
2. to prevent your devices from being harm.
3. to teach your children internet threats and dangers.
4. to prevent being exposed to unwanted materials or information.
5. to protect your businesses.
6. to secure your personal and private details such bank informations, credit cards, etc.
7. for safe keeping and peace of mind.
ONLINE OR INTERNET THREAT
Internet threats is the practice that makes the Internet unsafe for the users.
It is also known as cybercrime or online threat.
Cybercrime is any criminal activity that that threatened the safety of Internet or online users.
TYPES OF ONLINE OR INTERNET THREATS
There are different types of online or criminal activities,
1. Email and internet fraud
2. Identity fraud
3. Financial threat or card payment data.
4. Theft and sale of corporate data.
5. Cyber extortion or ransomware
6. Crypto jacking
7. Cyber espionage
1. EMAIL AND INTERNET FRAUD
Email and Internet fraud are the online criminal activities that deal with forged or faked electronic documents claiming to be legitimate.
2. IDENTIFY FRAUD
Identify fraud is the online criminal activity that use stolen identity to commit crime, deceive or defraud other people.
3. FINANCIAL THREAT OR CARD PAYMENT DATA
Financial threats are the online criminal activity that use people financial details or credit card to steal their money or make online payments and purchases.
4. BUSINESS AND CORPORATE IDENTITY THEFT
Business and corporate identity theft are online criminal activities that steal business identity to buy or sale goods and services by establishing lines of credit with banks or retailers.
5. CYBER EXTORTION OR RANSOM WARE
Cyber extortion or ransom ware is the online criminal activity that threat Internet users by hacking and holding their sensitive data until their demands for money are met.
Cryptojacking in the online criminal activity that use people’s devices such computer, smartphone, tablet or server to mine or generate cryptocurrency.
Cyber espionage is the online criminal activity that steal classified data from corporates or governments for economic gain, competitive advantages, political reasons or to gain control of their operations.
REASONS WHY PEOPLE ARE VICTIMS OF CYBERCRIME
There are reasons why most people became the victim of cyber criminal,
1. Greediness for money.
4. Cheap or free internet connectivity.
5. Outdated software, programs or applications.
6. Weak passwords
7. The uses of date of birth, children’s names or date of birth, etc.
Answer all the questions.
1. different between Internet safety and threats.
2. explain the meaning of cybercrime.
3. discuss how Internet users are threaten.
4. give 5 uses of safe internet.
5. discuss 3 types of Internet threat.
6. mention 5 ways to keep safety online.
7. state 5 reasons why people are victims of criminal online.