BOOK KEEPING AND ACCOUNTS
THEME – BOOK KEEPING
TOPIC 1 – INTRODUCTION TO BOOK KEEPING AND ACCOUNTING
2. Newspaper containing cases
3. Resource persons
7. Specimen bank statements, cheque book and passbook
9. Computers with Excel software.
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. define and explain book-keeping and accounts
2. give the history of book-keeping and accounts
3. outline the importance, advantages of book-keeping and accounts.
4. outline the qualities and core values of book-keepers and accountants
5. state the meaning of truthfulness.
6. state the attributes of truthfulness
7. explain transparency and accountability:
8. list the attributes of transparency and accountability
9. explain the meaning of integrity
10. describe the attributes of integrity
11. outline the various career opportunities for book-keeping and accounting
CONTENTS OF THE LESSON
1. Introduction to book-keeping and accounting.
2. History of book-keeping and accounts:
- Accountancy as a professional body in accounting
3. The future of book-keeping and accounting
4. The importance of book-keeping and accounting,
- functions of book-keepers
- advantages of book-keeping
5. Honesty – Meaning and Characteristics of Honesty (rejection of bribery, avoidance of cheating, fraud and corruption)
6. Truthfulness – Meaning and attributes of truthfulness (consistent behaviour, steadfastness, not lying with data/figures, etc.)
7. Transparency and accountability – Meaning, attributes and importance
8. Integrity – Meaning and Characteristics
6. Career opportunities in book-keeping and accounting.
1. Defines book keeping and accounts.
2. Discuss the history of book keeping and accounting.
3. Names and explains the functions of the recognized accounting bodies in Nigeria.
4. Names the institutions where higher studies can be done in accounting.
5. Explains the importance of book-keeping and accounts.
6. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
7. Explains the function of book-keeping and accounts
8. Explains the accounting vices that are wrong in the Nigerian society.
9. Discuss the effects of the vices on the family and the society.
10. Leads a discussion on the concept of truthfulness and its characteristics.
11. Leads a discussion on the consequences of not being truthfulness.
12. Leads a discussion on the meaning of transparency and accountability.
12. Discuss the attributes of transparency and accountability.
13. Leads a discussion on the meaning and characteristics of integrity:
14. Explains the various career opportunities for book-keepers and accountants and the relevant organisations.
1. Make notes on the definition.
2. Narrate the history of book-keeping and accounting
3. Write down the names of recognized accounting bodies.
4. Make lists of the higher institutions for the training of accountants.
5. Make notes on the importance, functions, advantages and disadvantages of book-keeping and accounts
6. Discuss the negative effects of these vices on the family and the society
7. State the advantages of truthfulness
8. State the meaning of transparency and accountability
9. State the attributes of transparency and accountability
10. Make notes on the meaning and importance of integrity, give the attributes of integrity and state the disadvantages of lack of integrity
11. Make notes on the available accounting opportunities.
1. Define book keeping and accounting;
2. explain 5 need for book keeping for:
3. Narrate the history of book-keeping and accounts.
4. List 5 names of institutions where further studies can be done in accounting.
5. State 5 names of recognized accounting bodies in Nigeria.
6. State 5 importance of book-keeping and accounts.
7. State 5 functions of book keeping and accounts.
8. State 5 advantages and 5 disadvantages if book keeping and accounting.
9. List 5 common vices that should be avoided by a book keeper or an accountant.
10. State 3 consequences of the vices.
11. state 4 ways of eradicating the vices.
12.State the meaning of truthfulness.
13. State 5 advantages of truthfulness
14. State 5 disadvantages of not being truthful.
15. Define transparency and accountability.
16. Mention 5 attributes of transparency and accountability.
17. State the meaning of integrity.
18. Mention 5 importance and 5 attributes of integrity.
19. Name and describe one person who possesses integrity in your locality.
20. List 5 career opportunities for book keepers and accountants.